Saturday, April 2, 2011

Just in case you are still wondering....

“The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes.”
William Davis

Just in case you are still wondering; yesterday's post about the Swiss harvesting their spaghetti was an April Fool's. Yep, the spaghetti does need drying but it does NOT grow on trees.

The BBC Spaghetti Tree hoax was one of the original mass media hoaxes and still retains its place of honour in the Hall of Fame. This classic gag took place way back in 1957. In those simpler days people still believed what they saw on television - especially when it was on the BBC's flagship current affairs programme Panorama. Credit for the idea is usually given to camerman Charles de Jaeger.

An audience of around 8 million viewers sat engrossed as they heard about the perils of the spaghetti weevil. It sounds incredible that people fell for this, but back then "exotic" food like pasta was almost unknown in Britain - a tin of soggy spaghetti hoops in orange "tomato" sauce was the closest to it most people ever came to pasta.

Don't worry if you thought the video was NOT funny. My hubby - who is a true Neapolitan - did not get the joke at all! Remember food is a religion in Italy. Rightly so!

I spent the last 2 hours grocery shopping, buying out the supermarket because my in-laws have arrived for a week. The lady at the cash register was wondering if World War III was due this weekend.

Did you know that every sauce has it proper type of pasta to go with it? Neither did I, until I married an Italian! I am learning fast and will let you in onto some of their cooking secrets in future posts.

Until then....remember: Spaghetti does NOT grow on trees!


2 comments:

XLMIC said...

I can't wait to hear what kinds of sauce go with which kinds of pasta! I know there is an etiquette but I don't know what it is :)

Expat with Kids said...

Barilla Pasta Penne Lisce No.71 are used to make Pasta al Forno! Will keep you posted as my mother in-law keeps cooking away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...