Saturday, March 3, 2018

20 answers to the infamous question: "Where do you come from?"

"Where are you from?" implies that you want to know what city or country is considered "home," assuming it's someplace other than where you are right now. This may be confusing, since where someone is "from" isn't necessarily where they live or where their parents are from.

One of my biggest dilemma's is to answer the simple question of where I come from. Soooo many times have the kids and I been asked that depending on the situation we now have the short answer, the medium elevator pitch or sometimes even the whole 9-yards story. The difficulty here is to suss out which answer is suitable for any given situation. It takes a lot of intuition and and fast assessment of the pros and cons before launching into that discussion. It also depends on the current state of mind, at times you're happy to chat, others it's just too much to face.

My accent(s!) can't be pinned to one country, I dare say I have two mother tongues. In my mind I am a Latina although I only have Nordic blood running through my veins and my heart is lost to Switzerland.

Therefore - with a pinch of sense of humour - here are some of my families' answers to the infamous question: " Where are you from?"

- It's complicated!
- Somewhere out there.
- Do you want the long version or the short version?
- Pick a country—any country!
- Are you asking where I was born, where I grew up, where my parents are from, or what kind of passport I have?
- When I find out I’ll let you know.
- Please don’t ask!
- Um, it’s kind of hard to explain…
- Do you have enough time for this?
- Technically, I’m from…but my parents are from…but I grew up…and I do/don’t speak…but I like living…but technically I’m from…
- Are you sure you want to know?
- That’s a tough question.
- You know, I wish I knew
- Um, it depends
- I don’t know
- Well, all over the world really. Where are you from?
- Outer space.
- Why do you want to know? (shifty eyes)
- Here!
- My heart is Neapolitan!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...