Sunday, February 12, 2012

Introducing Whitney Houston to my daughter

How many times have I listened to "How will I know"?
How many hours did I dance to "I Wanna Dance With Somebody"?
How many tears lost over boys listening to "Saving All My Love For You"?
How many hopes flying high with "Greatest Love of All"?
How many lost loves accompanied by "Didin't We Almost Have It all"?
How many times did the beat get going with "I'm Every Woman"?
How many chills went down my spin when I listen to "Exhale"?
How many dreams were about me having a voice like Whitney Houston?


Call me a hopeless romantic, because I am, but Whitney had a song for every moment in my life. Whitney Houston released her debut album, "Whitney Houston," in February 1985 to wide acclaim. Rolling Stone magazine called her "one of the most exciting new voices in years". I was 18 when I first heard her voice. She accompanied me through my ups and downs at boarding school - and believe me there where many!!!! Until this day she remains my favourite singer of all times.

Daughter of the great soul-and-gospel vocalist Cissy Houston, cousin to both Dionne and Dee Dee Warwick and goddaughter to Aretha Franklin, Houston's family background seemed a magically appropriate fusion of both the grit and the glamour of late-20th-century African-American pop music. She was a pop phenomenon capable of breaching all manner of audience boundaries whether of race, age or geographic origin.You couldn't find a more auspicious template for great expectations. And she delivred time after time until yesterday....

Today I shared all her greatest hits with my 8-year old daughter. She now will carry on dancing to Whitney's songs, just like I did!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everybody had a big emotion looking and hearing her in "The Bodyguard"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...