It is a day when activist groups come together under the same goal to highlight, discuss, and take action to advance rights and opportunities for girls everywhere.
The challenges girls face differ across the world, but by ensuring data on girls is gathered and recorded, it is hoped that this year’s International Day of the Girl will support future progress by recording present facts.
Girls in numbers:
- 70% of the world’s poor are girls and women
- 62m Number of girls who should be in school but are not.
- 830 girls and young women die during pregnancy and childbirth every day
- 55% of the 20.9m victims of forced labour are girls and women
- 39,000 girls are married before they turn 18
October 11 is not just a day; it’s a movement!