Sunday, May 31, 2015

100 people: an infographic of the world

Here is a piece of general knowledge info: there are 7.2 billion people in this world. It is a bit difficult trying to visualize that number but if it were reduced to a mere 100, would that help?

The project “100 People: A World Portrait” was created to help people conceptualize the world’s staggering population. By using information from the World Health Organization, the World Bank, the census, the United Nations, and others, the project used the world’s population statistics and scaled them to just 100 people.

"When I was a boy in the '90s, my mother had a printout of a chain email pinned to the wall in our kitchen. It was called 'The World as 100 People,' and it was just a simple list. I never forgot it because it was a simple but clever idea—a child could understand it without knowing the concept of percentages. One day, I didn't have any other work to do and I was sitting in my studio. The idea and the method came to me very quickly. I knew that I wanted to make it round, like the world. I wanted to use colors that might remind people of flags. I made the first draft in the morning and it was on the Internet by the afternoon" Jack Hagley, graphic designer, London.

Here is what the world would look like if there were only 100 people:


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...